THE HOME BUYING PROCESS.

10:04 AM

Hey, Hey! It’s been a while and with the first post of 2018, I decided to share our home buying process. This is by no means a “go-to guide” for the home buying process. While everyone’s story is different, this is “our story”.

August/September 2017: Let’s buy a house before the wedding.
This was a tough decision, but it was the best one for our family. T and I decided to buy before because we wanted to make sure, when the wedding was over and done with, we had a place to call home. It would be easier for us to ensure we had a house, before over-spending for a wedding and not preparing for life after. It also allowed us to not only make decisions together and strengthen our communication through wedding planning, but on bigger decisions as well.

Buying while planning.
Buying a home has truly taken my mind (and I say my because T doesn’t have to have all the extras when it comes to a wedding) off of all of the “extras” I wanted before. I’ve said this before in previous posts. I have a different view now on “ways I can spend or save money”. While I still am planning to have the wedding I want, I’m finding better ways in doing so (call me the DIY bride).

September 2017: Starting the process.
Our House Hunt “Must-Haves included:
What was important to me: A nice kitchen
What was important to T: Workout space
 A Safe Neighborhood
A nice Backyard

I know this list doesn’t seem long, but we really didn’t have a “list” to base our search off of. T and I actually looked at about four homes in one day. That evening we talked it over and this was the best option that we LOVED. That night we put in an offer. Even with the things we felt we had to have, we stayed within our budget. 

The purchase.
We started the home buying search in Late August and finally went through the entire process and closed in Late November.  Let me tell you we both were ready to give up. This was a long and tedious process for us. We went from a smooth, no compliant beginning. To delay, delay, delay, not good, we regret to inform, delay, it’s looking good, we’re moving forward, congratulations, let’s sign. We seriously had some ups and downs. What I loved the most about it was the fact that we PRAYED and FASTED through the entire thing. 

We are so happy with our purchase. Even with the delays it was worth it. The "must haves" we wanted, we got. The ONE thing I had to adjust to, the location. You often hear, location is important, but we didn't base our decision on the location alone. 

November 30th, 2017.                2:30 p.m.                                      Closing Day.
Closing day was surreal. Scary. Adult-like. As first time homebuyers, I can honestly say I had so many thoughts going through my mind, because I mean “I’m buying a whole house”. Not just paint or a piece of furniture. 

What I liked about closing was that I was able to ask the sellers so many questions about the house that I wondered over the past few months. This was our first time meeting them both, so having them there to get clarity was amazing. They even shared information about our neighbors (some of the neighbors were people that I already knew!)

The first thing we did after closing was went to Lowes and purchased paint for the master bedroom. We ended up purchasing HGTV HOME by Sherwin Williams Infinity Flat Interior Paint in Agreeable Grey.

Tips for the future homebuyer.
         1. Set a budget and stick to it. Be realistic with what you can afford and are willing to pay.

 2. Get a GOOD realtor. Not just one that is trying to make a sale or commission. Get someone that is REALLY working for your best interest (and theirs, but mainly yours). 

  3. Know your Credit Score. Get to know your credit report and score. Study it, and figure out ways to increase your score before buying a home. Do NOT base your credit solely on Credit Karma, while it is a good indicator, it is not an accurate measure of what mortgage companies will pull. 

  4. Study the area you’re interested in living in. Drive around it at night and see what it’s like. Ask neighbors about the neighborhood, etc.

  5. Read the papers! Don’t just sign. Make sure what is verbally expressed is also in writing or vice versa. If it’s not right, get clarification.

  6. ASK QUESTIONS. Don’t be afraid to ask all the questions you need for reassurance. From the initial tour, inspection, appraisal, final walk through, or closing day, ASK.

  7. Determine what’s important to you in a home. It’s okay to be picky and not like homes. Find what fits you and what you need. While doing this, consider number 1. What I want may not be what I can afford.

  8. See what programs are available to you in your area! Get Down Payment assistance or go through other low-interest rate programs that may help you in the long-run. BE aware of the penalties if you sell your home before allowed. 

You Might Also Like

0 comments

Popular Posts