DIY Christmas Ornaments

10:35 AM





I've been in full-fledged Christmas season mode since last  Christmas season. In my last post I was sure I wanted plaids and traditional red tones for the tree this year.  I went into this year not expecting to completely change my décor, but when the Hearth and Home was released at Target (my weakness) and I became inspired. I’ve never been a farmhouse, galvanized, rustic type girl, but modern tones have always sparked my interested.  In my next post you can see my tree reveal, but for now, check on these DIY Christmas ornaments I made. 


purchased this 25 count clear ornament set from MichaelsI intended to keep half clear and paint the other half with ivory acrylic paint that I also purchased from Michaels. I love a nice natural cream color. 


The top of the bulb was very easy to remove, simply by pinching the sides to squeeze the inner wire. I dropped a small amount of ivory paint inside, placed a thin piece of paper towel over the opening, and then shook each bulb until I gained full coverage all around. I let each bulb dry overnight. Some of them required a second coat of paint because it cracked in some areas around the rims. 


After each bulb was dry, I took some 3M ScotchBlue Painter's tape purchased here and lined some bulbs in a slanted position. Using  Rust-Oleum Black Satin Spray Paint I painted the bottom section of the bulb for a cream and black chic modern look. I'm not a fan of shiny bulbs, so a satin (matte) spray paint was a must. 



I thought to test out some Faux Marble ornaments as well. Same concept, I dropped two to four drops of cream and black acrylic paint (purchased from Michaels) inside each bulb in different corners, turning the bulb as I squeezed each drop. 




 Then I covered the whole with a thin piece of paper towel and shook the bulb lightly until the paint colors mixed and swirled together. A few hard shakes will do the trick. I wasn’t too sure If I loved these ornaments, so I only made four. After they were dry, there was no question how I knew they'd add spunk to the tree. 




I must say I am excited about these looks for our tree. Here are the three designs I made. I am hoping that once I assemble the tree in the next couple of weeks that my vision comes together. 





You Might Also Like

0 comments

Popular Posts